.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

THE WORLD THROUGH MY EYES

You may see things differently, but this is how I view my life.

5/05/2003

Breakfast with Blink 182


Every morning on my way to work I listen to Kevin & Bean on KROQ 106.7. I've been listening to them for about 8 or more years now. Occasionally they have a Breakfast with some band. Kevin & Bean's Breakfast's With ________ are awesome! It's a small venue with only about 200 or so in the audience. You have to win tickets (most of the time) to attend. Today they are doing a Breakfast with Jack Johnson. They've done Breakfast's With No Doubt, Incubus, Foo Fighters to name a few. The people that get to attend are allowed to ask the bands questions and hear the band play acoustically.

Kevin and Bean are constantly bagging on the people who live in the 909 area code. They say that the 909 is the land of the dirt people, all the guys have mullets and we are the capitol of the meth labs. (The last part is true). The 909 covers the Inland Empire which is San Bernardino and Riverside Counties. People that live in Orange County and LA call it the 909. I live in the 909. When I first moved here it was the 714 area code, then they changed it a few years later to the 909 area code. Housing is much cheaper out here than in OC or LA. I don't think it's all that bad. Yah, we may not be near the beach, but we can get to one within an hour or less if traffic is good.

Last year on Friday, March 29 Kevin and Bean announced that they were going to have a Breakfast with Blink 182 somewhere in the 909 to make up for all the fun they poke at the 909. They said that they would announce the details at 5:00 Monday morning. Well, I'm a huge Blink fan and Travis, the drummer for Blink lives in the 909 and is from the 909 originally. So it makes perfect sense for Blink to play in the 909 for the 909. I was excited.

Monday morning comes and I wake up at 4 am and start getting ready for them to announce the location at 5 am. My sister is getting ready too. For those who know me, I don't get up at 4 am for very many reasons. It has to be VERY important to me to get up that early. So, I'm listening to KROQ and Kevin and Bean announce that Breakfast with Blink is off the 15 freeway's 4th street exit in Ontario, and it's on a first come first serve basis. So those that get there first will get in. I carry my kids to the car one by one (since they are still sleeping) and drive over to my mom's house. I put the kids back to bed and my sister and I drive as fast as we can to Ontario. It normally takes about 30 - 40 minutes to get to Ontario from my mom's house. I think we got there in 20. As we're driving, we're listening to Kevin and Bean describe the weather conditions and how foggy it was. They would announce as people would drive up and honk or yell. They interview Carnies that were tearing down a carnival that was in the area. Kevin and Bean even interviewed the Mayor or Ontario. They talked about Krispy Cream Donuts, Carl's Jr. The Ontario Mills Mall, all kinds of different landmarks. Since the Ontario Mills was located right off of the freeway at 4th street, we thought it was only logical that Breakfast with Blink 182 was at the mall.

My sister and I drove around the mall's parking lot looking for any sign of KROQ. I think we were one of the first one's to arrive since about 30 minutes later, we noticed that there were a ton of cars loaded with people (mostly teenagers and people in their early 20's) making circles around the mall as well. Not only did we circle the mall several times, we drove up and down 4th street several times. We spent about an hour and over 1/2 tank of gas trying to find this damn thing. We stopped at Krispy Creams and got a donut and as we were pulling out of the parking lot, somebody yelled "April Fools"! That's when we realized, it WAS April Fool's Day!

Comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home