.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

THE WORLD THROUGH MY EYES

You may see things differently, but this is how I view my life.

8/14/2003

Not Cool in School

Believe it or not, I was completely fashionably challenged in school. And I’m talking well into my sophomore year before I got a clue about hair, makeup and clothes. I moved to Yucaipa (pronounced U-kai-pah) when I was 15. Previously, I had gone to school with the same people for my entire school career. Moving to a new town, and a small one at that, was absolutely devastating. I had no friends for an entire summer. And it was really hard for me to make friends being so fashionably challenged. I really didn’t have any guidance at home because my mom, well, dressed like a mom.

My hair in Jr. High was in the style of a feathered mullet. It was short in the front, feathered on the sides and longer in the back. Then around my freshman year, my hair had grown out some and I got a perm. I’m not knocking perms or anything. Ok I lied, I’m totally knocking perms. I don’t look good with a perm. But that didn’t stop me from having the big ass bangs and the wings to go with the big ass bangs. You remember the hairstyle right?

One day, during my sophomore year of high school, I didn’t have time to do my hair in the morning because I was (as usual) running late. My perm had grown out by then and so my hair was somewhat straight. With the help of the blow dryer and a brush, I had dried my hair completely straight. I went to school, somewhat embarrassed that I hadn’t had time to fix my hair, and got a TON of compliments. Everyone said I looked much better with straight hair. So from that day forward, I had straight hair.

I am also visually impaired. I’m talkin’ BLIND! I’ve been wearing glasses since the third grade. When I was in high school it was the late 80’s to early 90’s, and the big-framed glasses were the style. I’m not saying they looked good but it was the style back then. (OMG I just realized that I’m saying “BACK THEN” that must mean that I’m getting old!) Not only did I have big-framed glasses, but the lenses were tinted blue on the top and a rose color on the bottom. How I thought that was cool, I’ll never know. My sophomore year I finally ditched the glasses and got contact lenses. I instantly had more friends because of my appearance change. I didn’t really realize this until later, but it’s the truth. But who isn’t shallow at the age of 15? And hell, I didn’t care, I was making friends.

I made it through high school with no problem. I may not of been part of any click. I had a boyfriend, and some good friends to hang out with. I do have to admit; I’m WAY hotter now that I’m almost 30, than I ever was at the age of 18. I may not have my tight little 18-year-old body, but my hair, my make up and clothes totally kick ass compared to then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home