.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

THE WORLD THROUGH MY EYES

You may see things differently, but this is how I view my life.

9/12/2003

Capitalizing on a Tragedy

Working in a mall, I saw many of our stores capitalizing on the worst tragedy to ever happen to America. It’s kind of a double standard because that’s their business to sell items to the public that they demanded. But on the other hand, I hated to see people profit from such a terrible catastrophe.

Immediately T Shirts were being made, flags were being printed on EVERYTHING and were being sold all over the place. Especially the flags to put on the window of your car. Sure I wanted to show my patriotism, just like everyone else, but I didn’t want to give my hard earned money to people who were profiting from an even where people lost their lives. If I was going to give my money to anybody, it was going to be to The Red Cross or other organizations that were there to help.

I had no problem accepting free items though. I was given a few really cool shirts by one of our stores that I felt was capitalizing on the tragedy. One of the shirts he gave me had that famous picture of the firefighters raising the flag on top of the rubble. The picture was done in a gray scale with only the flag in color. The words “America’s Heroes” (or something like that) read underneath the shirt. It’s one of my favorite shirts. I also got a few with an American Flag that says “God Bless America” under the flag. I wear these shirts, still to this day, with pride. I just wish they fit as good now as they did then. I later found out that the store that gave me the shirts, donated half of the profit to the families of 9-11. I just wished that all of the merchants selling similar items did the same.

For the most part, America came together supporting one another in different ways. Some gave their blood, while others gave money. I heard stories of the people who had business near and around “Ground Zero” supplying food, drinks and other needed items to the volunteers cleaning up the aftermath. That’s exactly what everyone should have been doing. I donated money to The Red Cross, and helped organize a fundraiser here at the mall to collect for the Families of 9-11. We didn’t collect more than a few hundred dollars, since every other business in America was taking collections as well, but every little bit helps.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home