.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

THE WORLD THROUGH MY EYES

You may see things differently, but this is how I view my life.

9/11/2003

I Will Never Forget


Two years ago this day I was getting ready for work. I woke up at approximately 7:00 am PST. My (ex) husband was in bed sleeping still. I had already taken my shower, and I turned on the TV in the living room around 7:20, because I like to listen/watch the news as I’m getting dressed and putting on my makeup. The picture that was on my TV screen was one of disbelieve. One of the Twin Towers was on fire and I was listening to them commentate about what had happened. They said that a plane had run right into one of the towers.

At this point, everyone assumed that it was a horrible accident. Maybe the pilot lost control of the plane due to a mechanical error. Different scenarios were being discussed but terrorism wasn’t brought up until the second tower was struck. Then we knew that America was under attack.

At this point, I was basically in shock. I woke up my (ex) husband and told him to turn on the TV. Then I called my mom and woke her up and explained to her what was going on. Thoughts raced though my mind about what would be attacked next? Was this the beginning of World War III? Should I go to work? I really didn’t want to leave my family but I figured I’d go to work, and see what happens. I doubt their going to attack a mall in San Bernardino.

I sat in the living room while putting on my makeup and watched in horror as people were jumping out of the buildings and the city was in complete chaos. Smoke bellowed from the top of The Towers, then the unthinkable happened. One of the Towers crumbled to the ground. Within minutes, the second Tower fell as well. All I could think about was the people trapped in the buildings with no way to get out. How horrified they must be. And their family’s, how they must feel. I have no connection with anybody at the scene and I was sitting there watching with tears rolling down my face, completely stunned by what I was watching.

Before I left to come to work, I kissed my (ex) husband and kids goodbye and told them I loved the. On my drive to work, I was listening to the radio, getting my daily fix of Kevin & Bean on KROQ. They were trying their best to give accurate accounts about what was happening. Then they announced that The Pentagon had been attacked as well. Exactly same scenario. A plane had been hijacked and steered right into the building.

Who could be doing this to us? And why? The people being targeted (until the Pentagon) aren’t military personnel. They are civilians. People going about their everyday lives. All I knew, was whoever was behind these cruel acts of hatred, are very sick people and they deserve to be hung by the hairs on their testacles, spit on with booger filled loogies then stoned to death.

I arrived at work and was anxious to hear what the game plan was. Were they going to close the mall? Nobody really felt like working, and I wasn’t expecting very many people to come shopping. Most of America was glued to their TV’s to hear the latest reports. Many of the stores didn’t open and as the day went on, more and more stores closed their doors. We decided to close the mall at 6 instead of the usual 9 pm and resume regular business hours the next day.

Our TV at work wasn’t hooked up to cable, so we found a radio and listened to things develop throughout the day. We heard stories of courageous firemen, policemen, and citizens risking their lives to save people from the burning buildings. Some made it out, and some didn’t. We also heard stories from family’s who’s loved ones were in the building.

This was one of the most tragic days in American History. Over 1,500 people lost their lives that day to a senseless act of violence. Emotions can’t be put into words about the sorrow and grief most of feel about that disastrous day. The day we will never forget.

If you have the time to read a long, but very well written article. I strongly encourage you to read The Falling Man

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home