.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}


You may see things differently, but this is how I view my life.


Roughin’ It

I don’t know about you, but my weekend was absolutely fabulous despite the fact that there was no running water to take a shower or wash any part of my body. And that we went to a walk in campground, so we had to park ¼ mile from our campsite and haul everything in. Luckily, our friends, friend has a wagon and it only took 2 trips to get everything in.

We stayed about 20 miles north of Mammoth, right on the border of Yosemite National Park. Our elevation was 10,000 feet and the view was spectacular. Everything was so green and the air was so clean. My body didn’t know how to handle the fresh smog-free air, so I got a killer headache as soon as we arrived on Saturday.

Our campsite was on a cliff with a 200 foot drop that over looked a small river and a meadow of long green grass. It was pure heaven. Just like something from a scene from the movie Homeward Bound. I kept picturing Jerry’s dog Bruster and my cat Sophie running across the meadow together and drinking from the river trying to find their way home and surviving off the land. I know, I’m such a dork. But it was a cute thought.

The kids spent all of daylight on Saturday, riding the wagon down the hill on the road (that we couldn’t drive on) that was next to our campsite. They would push the wagon to the top of the hill, some one would steer and the other would push the wagon down the hill then jump in before it picked up too much speed. It was like a mini roller coaster. The kids would trade off who would steer and who would push without fighting about it once! As soon as it got dark, the kids totally crashed hard.

When we went to bed we quickly realized that the air mattress had a leak and we ended up sleeping on the hard ground. We woke up totally sore and grumpy. Then it started to rain. Which was cool because I love the rain, and I had almost forgotten what it looked and smelled like. It rained for most of the morning, so all the kids (mine and my neighbors daughter) played in the tent, while Jerry and I laid in the sleeping bag snuggling, keeping warm and trying to nap. But napping was about impossible with 3 kids playing in the same tent.

After it quit raining for a little bit, Jerry and I decided that we needed to go to Kmart for another air mattress. It was an hour drive one way to the nearest Kmart. But we didn’t mind, the drive was beautiful. We did our shopping then had lunch and came back to the camp. It kind of seemed like a wasted day since it was raining and we couldn’t go hiking or fishing so we went shopping.

Yesterday was just a perfect day. It was 75 and sunny! There was a lake just up the road, so we got our gear and went fishing. All you PETA people, need not fear, we didn’t even catch the normal weedfish. We realized that it was noon and we wanted to get on the road, so we came back and packed up all our gear. That part didn’t suck as much as trying to get the gear to the Jeep. The people who owned the wagon, had left on Sunday because of the rain (pussy’s!) They would have let us take it with us, but we didn’t have any room for it, so they left us their dolly instead and that was a huge help.

After spending 4 hours packing and loading the Jeep, we finally got on the road and made it home by 10 pm last night. The traffic was awesome for a holiday weekend. We flew home in 6 hours. When we finally arrived, we were hungry, tired and smelled really bad. The experience was worth it though. A hot shower after not bathing in 3 day feels better than sex.


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home