.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

THE WORLD THROUGH MY EYES

You may see things differently, but this is how I view my life.

8/21/2005

CONFRONTATION & APOLOGIES

Friday David went to pick up D.J. for the weekend. D.J. has two female cousins that are very close to him (ages 6 & 9), and when they heard that my kids were going to be here too, they wanted to come. So David piled the 3 kids in the car and drove them to our house.

Luckily one of my closest friends, Rosa, was coming out to see me Friday night, so she brought my kids with her, which saved me over 3 hours of driving. Thank GOD for friends! I was kind of worried that she was going to flake on me and not come out, because that would totally be just like her, but she showed up around 9:30 pm with my kids!!!!!

After Rosa arrived, David sat with us and chatted for a few minutes before heading downstairs to our coolest neighbors ever, for a poker party and left Rosa and I with the 5 kids. I cracked open a bottle of wine, and gave Rosa a beer. After chatting some more, we decided to head downstairs so she could meet my neighbors. We hung out for 10 minutes and headed back up to check on the kids. After a while, we were catching a buzz and could hear the laughter from downstairs and decided it was David's turn to come up and hang with the kids while we had some more adult interaction.

I made the kids go to bed around 1 am and Rosa crashed shortly after them. So I went back downstairs with another glass of wine, and hung out with the neighbors. (Oh! I forgot to mention that some other neighbors that live directly across from us were the. Because that's the important part on where the confrontation comes in.) So we were drinking, and I was watching them play poker. Next thing you know my big mouth starts blabbing and I guess I said something that totally pissed off my neighbor that lives across from me. (We'll call her Drew, because she reminds me SOOOOOO much of Drew Barrymore).

Drew is a hair stylest and apparently does extreemly well, since she bought a condo in Oceanside and supports her husband who goes to school full time. Plus, she just bought a beautiful brand spankin new Nissan Altima. (I love those cars). Like I said, she does well. I guess my drunk self said something to the effect that she's the bread winner. Within minutes, she took Jess out to the balcony (Jess lives downstairs) and closed the door, she came out into the dining area where we all were and asked me to go outside so she could talk to me. Next thing you know, she's going OFF on me about my comment, and how I disrespected her husband, and how last time I put down her profession, etc. She was totally in my face and just going off on me.

I was shocked and confused and tried to take it all in and let her know that it was all a misunderstanding and how I never would put down her profession or intentially say things to put them down and that I was sorry she took it that way. I did the best I could under the circumstances of having an entire bottle of wine in me, and being blind-sided with some crazy woman screaming in my face.

After I said all I could, I walked away. The guys had no idea on what was going on. I came upstairs and went to bed. David came in a few minutes behind me and wanted to know what just happend. As I started telling him, I started crying and said that I totally didn't mean to upset her and how bad I feel. Of course he was totally supportive and knows that I would never intentionally hurt someone like that. He did and said everything he could to make me feel better and told me we'd take care of it Saturday. I basically cried myself to sleep.

Well, Saturday came and I was hung over and felt like shit and had a house guest and 5 kids to feed, so I made them Pancakes and Bacon. Rosa went home at 1. I wanted to go talk to my neighbor, but she was at work, so I took the kids to the pool to release some of their energy. David spent the day working on getting the garage situated so he could fit Big Red (his 55 Chevy Truck) and all the other shit we have into a one car garage.

Sunday, my daughter came in my room and said somebody was at the door for me. I was hoping that it was Drew, and sure enough it was! I was really happy to see her, because I knew she had to be coming over to talk to me. She stared off by apologizing and saying that she over reacted, but also explained to be that it was a sensitive subject for her husband and she got defensive, that with the combo of alcohol, she blew up and that I didn't deserve that.

I also apologized and explained how horrible I felt, and that I really liked her and was hoping that we could be friends, and how devistated I was about the whole thing. Serioulsy, my entire day on Saturday was crap, besides the hang-over, I was really upset all day. We then hugged and made up.

3 Comments:

At 1:30 PM, Blogger mal said...

I am glad to hear you made up. Being hacked off at your neighbors for a long time is not the best thing in the world. (we are not on talking terms with one of ours)

The fact is, SHE WAS WRONG. You may have been a bit less than diplomatic but you spoke nothing that was not the truth and she was a guest in your house on top of it. You have zilch to feel bad about.

"In vino, veritas" is often true and her reaction to your off hand comment may have exposed some tensions between her and her spouse. You were not the source of her anger.

It is good she recognized it and apologized

Off My Soap Box

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger ocg said...

I'm glad you girls kissed and made up.

I have also been a victim of the repercussions of alcohol and foot-in-mouth syndrome...

 
At 4:27 AM, Blogger Truble said...

You did the right thing April (apologizing). I'm sure some of us have been in that same situation where you just didn't realize what you were saying and it seem to come out wrong - with alcohol added in... it's a lesson learned!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home