.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

THE WORLD THROUGH MY EYES

You may see things differently, but this is how I view my life.

9/19/2005

WAITING, WONDERING, WISHING

Here it is, Monday, and I'm anxiously waiting for my phone to ring with an "Unavailable" number, which will mean that it's the Property Manager that I interviewed with last Wednesday, informing me that I got the job, or not. Hopefully it will be good news.

I'm more confident about the interview I had with her than the Operations Manager. That was definitely the most brutal interview I've ever had. She had a huge stack of papers with "Personality" type questions, that were HARD and full of big words that frankly, I've never heard before in my life, which left me feeling not-so confident about the interview and asking her "what exactly does that mean"? Such as....

OPM: (OPM is Operations Manager) "Do you consider your self a visionary or a (insert big word here that I've never heard of that starts with a P and means the opposite of visionary)."

Me: (I'm sure I had a blank look on my face, or one of complete horror for not knowing another word that she's used) "Could you please explain exactly what that means".

OPM: "(Big word that starts with P) is the opposite of visionary, meaning (at this point I think she was having difficulty thinking of how to explain the question) the opposite of visionary. Such as a visionary is someone who has a vision or idea of what they want to do, but really doesn't know how to get it done, a (big word that starts with P) is someone who takes that idea, and runs with it and makes it happen"

Me: I'm definitely a (big word that starts with P). As long as the "idea" is something that I know about, then I can make it happen.

Another question that she asked me was about my strengths and weaknesses. Seriously, like I'm going to tell her that I have a really bad habit of being habitually late! AS IF! So I told her that I HATE filing, and that I procrastinate filing until it's the only thing I can think about doing. I also added that my desk is usually an organized mess. Someone passing by may look at it and wonder how I can find anything, but I'll be able to find it pretty quick.

I was also asked if there is anyone in my life that I have disrespected. I asked her if she meant in the workplace or personally.

She answered "Both".

Me: "The only person that I've disrespected in my life was my ex-husband, because that fucking bastard deserved it!"

Ok maybe I didn't use those words exactly, but I was thinking it. And also, another lie. I'm sure there are many people that I have disrespected in high-school, or when I was working in retail, because the customers were complete and total idiots. But you don't say those things during an interview that could be a new beginning to your career.

After leaving the interview, I was second guessing my "interview performance", wondering if I was witty enough, or if I said the wrong thing, or gave her the wrong impression about me. I tried very hard to emphasize my knowledge about property management without sounding like I knew it all. After all, it is a training position, and if I knew everything there was to know about managing a commercial property, then I'd be interviewing for a Property Manager position.

There was one question that she asked me, that I feel I royally messed up on, and that is "If you got the job, what would be a few of the first things you'd do during your first week"?

Me: (Desperately trying to think of things "I would learn as much about the property as I could, and try to meet the tenants".

Of course there's more that I could do during my first week, such as learn what's expected of me, find out exactly what kind of things I'm supposed to be doing on a day-to-day basis, meet the staff, read the leases, make sure everybody has their insurance on file and up to date, find out who's our contracted services as far as landscaping, security (which I already know because David handles the security for the property), maintenance, etc.

I'm sure all of that could go in the "Learn as much about the property as I could" but that was a very general statement, and it would have looked better had I elaborated.

At the closing of my interview, she said that she didn't know how long it would take for the PM to make a decision, but that I should call on Monday. I have my phone next to me, and I occasionally check it to make sure it's on and working, just in case she calls, I certainly don't want to miss it.

If I don't hear from her by 2 or 3, I think I'll give her a call, since I was instructed to. But I don't want to look or sound pushy, so I think I'll say "Hey PM, its April, the OPM told me to call you today and see when you might come to a decision."

Honestly, it's going to be awkward if I don't get the job and I see her at a function or around the condo's. Because I know we will run into each other frequently. As soon as I get an answer, I'll post it here, well, after I call David, my mom, my sister, and close friends. You guys will be 6th or 7th on my list.

(Hey at least you're on the list right?)

Have a great MONDAY!

7 Comments:

At 10:33 AM, Blogger EB72 said...

Hi April,

I've been on so few interviews in my life but I do know about the second guessing ... don't torture yourself. Just think, anyone else interviewing for the position was just as nervous. I did the same thing for my current job. Kicked myself and beat myself up with shouldasaids .... and then I found out, I scored a 98. The highest anyone has ever scored on an interview ... um, oops. So take comfort - and I find it funny that she said the P word is opposite of visionary because I don't think her description of the word sounded opposite ... she probably didn't know what it meant either! Hmpf!
(and Kudos to you for not pretending like you knew!)

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Romeo Jensen said...

I always thought P was the Pee word... boy am I blonde

good luck gorgeous... I'll be praying for ya... and god owes me a couple

romey

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger mal said...

April, I have worked both sides of the interview desk. Not to worry, the interviewers are real people too and have some of the same concerns about interviewing you! Your first impressions of the interview are likely the most accurate so relax. I expect you did great *S*

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Dirk the Feeble said...

I totally think "the bastard fucking deserved it" is a great thing to say on a job interview; shows them you have grit and aren't afraid to go after what you want in life!

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Amber said...

GOOD LUCK! Interviews are so nerve wracking and I think it was good that you didn't tell her that you are habitually late -- I am as well, and also? I hate filing. My desk is full of unfiled stuff that I want nothing to do with. Ugh.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Kiki said...

I'm sure you did well. It's easy to second guess yourself when you're waiting.

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger stretch td said...

Still trying to guess what the "P" word is. But sounds like the operations manager is a "prick".

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home