.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

THE WORLD THROUGH MY EYES

You may see things differently, but this is how I view my life.

9/29/2005

What Would You Do

Tell me what would you have done in this situation? This is something that really happened to me yesterday:

I dropped my daughter off at school and was on my way home. I was stopped in the left hand turning lane when the arrow turned green. It was approximately 7:15 am and I was turning east, into the sun. I was temporarially blinded, then all of a sudden, I see this lady walking in the intersection, and I'm about to hit her. Luckily I wasn't driving fast, in fact I was driving pretty slow, and I hit my brakes. As I hit my breaks, she hit the passenger side of the front of my car then fell. I put the car in park, run out and yell "Are you ok?".

At this time, I'm in shock and feeling as though I'm dreaming, and this is not really happening. Now what happens next is very bizarre....

The old lady then gets up, and opens the passenger side door of my car, gets into my car, sits down, then tells me she's ok and then has the gall to ask me for money! I'm still in shock from what just happened, because here I'm thinking I just ran over someone with my car and I'm about to go to jail and this lady is asking me for money!!!!! WHAT!?!? Is this the Twilight Zone?

I don't remember if I said anything to her or if I was contimplating giving her the twenty bucks I have in my wallet, but the lady then proceeds to run away through the middle of the intersection!

Sorry folks, I can't make this shit up if I tried.

There was a man sitting in the left hand turn lane facing the oposite direction, who had just seen what happened. He was kind enough to roll down his window and tell me that she shouldn't have been walking there anyways. I then said "I couldn't see her"!

Then I thought, afterwards, it doesn't matter if she should or shouldn't have been in the intersection, the fact is she's a pedistrain and that doesn't give me the right to run her ass over.

Since the lady is now gone, and I'm holding up traffic, I decided to go home, tell David what happened and see what he thinks I should do about it.

Of course, David is still sleeping, I come home in tears and blurt out I just ran someone over. He jumped up and said "WHAT"??????!!!!!!!!!!

I then explained to him what had happened and he told me not to worry about it, since she wasn't hurt and she's the one who ran away.

I was contimplating calling the police and having them take a report to cover my ass just in case someone wrote down my plates and called in a hit and run. But I didn't. Instead, I stayed home sick all day because I have a head cold and I felt like shit. So I slept for most of the day, and then we went to see the Mighty Ducks play at the Pond. It was fun. My first real life hockey game and I loved it!

9 Comments:

At 9:47 AM, Blogger bamajane said...

I don't think there was anything else you could do...SHE ran away, you didn't. In fact it could have just been a scam...maybe she was really looking for some sucker. Please don't worry too much about it. Did you give her your name or license # or tag #? You're probably ok. Rest easy. Hope your cold's better.

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger appsdshell said...

She was obviously homeless. She was wearing a hooded shawl, had grey scraggely hair and seemed a little crazy. She ran off before I could even give her $20!

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger EB72 said...

I guess maybe this is why the men in my life have lectured me on keeping my doors locked ...

( I didn't listen but maybe I should? And maybe you should too? )

Hope you're feeling better short-timer! heh heh

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger appsdshell said...

EB72: I know, and I thought about that too. I had just dropped off Bre, and didn't lock my doors. But then I thought, I have power locks and even if my doors were locked, I had to unlock them all to get out of my car. I was so startled by the situation that I wouldn't have thought to unlock the car manually. Which makes me think that this may have been a scam, in which I should inform the police.

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Alice said...

WOW that is bizarre!! i think you handled yourself fine though - what else could you have done? she ran away, so you clearly didn't hurt her, and you stopped and everything. i can see where this would be hard to get out of your mind, though :-)

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger appsdshell said...

I just called the Police Department and he said that I did everything I could, since the lady ran off before I could do anything else. Good to know. I also informed him that this may be a new scam to get money out of people, and he said it was the first he had heard of it, but it very well could be and that he would pass the information on.

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Dirk the Feeble said...

I would definitely call the cops in that situation, it can keep you out of an ugly situation, but it's hard to keep your cool when something like that happens, especially when the person in question is a maniac gold-digger.

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger stretch td said...

Its a common scam in New York city to walk into cars (usually hitting them with an open hand to make a loud noise) or pretend that they ran over your foot. When you offer them money, they either take your money or make a grab for your wallet.

Its a tried and true scam. You weren't the first, you won't be the last.

 
At 4:24 AM, Blogger mal said...

call the police. That is an old scam. I am just surprised she did not try pushing you harder for the money

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home